Here are some frequently asked questions to help you with any troubles you might run into…
What is the thickness of the stone?
- 2cm = 3/4″ thickness
- 3cm = 1 1/4″ thickness
How much overhang can I have without adding support?
- Granite & Marble = 12″
- Manufactured Quartz = 14″
- **Unsupported stone is susceptible to cracking or breaking with excessive amounts of weight or stress. We can provide counter balance supports or you can provide your own corbels.
How do I clean my stone?
- You should never use harsh or abrasive chemicals on your stone tops! These types of products can strip off the sealer or, even worse, scratch and etch the tops.
- We recommend using a mild soap and water mixture, ammonia-free Windex, or there are cleaners made just for cleaning granite and marble counter tops.
Can my stone stain?
- Granite – Not likely, however, prolonged contact with something wet may leave a spot, but it will generally go away once the stone dries. We recommend that you wipe away any spills as soon as possible.
- Marble – Yes, Marble is soft and porous, so anything spilled should be wiped up immediately. Also avoid using anything acidic or oil based on marble.
- Quartz – No, you should not have any problems with staining because it is less porous, however, extreme heat could discolor.
How do I know when to seal my tops?
- Sprinkle water on your counters. If water soaks into the stone and doesn’t bead up, then we would recommend resealing.
- For marble tops, we recommend sealing every year.
Will I have a seam?
- Although we try to avoid seams if possible, most likely you will have one depending on the layout and/or slab sizes. Our staff will be happy to discuss placements with you during the template phase.
How long will the whole process take?
- From making the template to the actual install, it can take anywhere from 3 – 10 days, depending on the job and our schedule.
What is etching?
- Etching is a chemical reaction that occurs when a particular type of acid makes contact with a polished surface, like marble. It removes the polish and may roughen the surface of the stone.
Is plumbing included with the installation?
- No, we do not have a licensed plumber on staff, but if you need a plumber, we will be happy to recommend or schedule one for you.
Still have questions? Contact our office or stop by, and we will be happy to help answer them.